I Need YOUR help! For the duration of my Loc journey, I must say that dry locs has been the #1 struggle. As a loose natural you are able to feed your hair with conditioners and deep treatments resulting in shiny, moist and jaw dropping healthy hair. With locs however, the danger lies in the risk of build up. We can no longer use the same kinds of products so what and how do we moisturize???? I recently tried a banana coconut deep conditioner only to result in a build up sleep over in my hair. I am running out of ideas. Although I am a big advocate in experimenting, I am willing to sit this one out and seek some of your counsel. Leave a comment down below or under my YouTube video as well as on Instagram ( blissfulbeni ) letting me know of any tips that you may have specifically for locs. THANK YOU!
I am not a stereotype. I do not know anything about late nights and hangovers. I am completely unfamiliar with allowances and moving out. In my reality, I am thinking about ways to mold today’s me into a me of tomorrow where current me will do a double-take when she meets the me of the future.
After graduating from secondary school, no one tells you how much trials and loose gravel that’s on the road ahead. We are filled with infantile hope of a future. The surprise that is Young adulthood takes a significant toll on the friendships that we have developed from primary school and onwards. Where you were so keen to speak about every detail of your life, you are now struck with a sense of shame and fear of judgment that you may or may not be where everyone had epected.The job you had thought would soon come has now taken more than six months for even an interview call. Your friends have found work and new boyfriends. Everything is rapidly changing. Suddenly, You’re faced with you, who you are and who you want to be.
Personal life is so raw when you are no longer in the safety net of school. You are faced with adulting whether you asked for it or not. Bills, loans, break ups, weight-gain, pregnancies, Spiritual warfare, insecurities and gosh, too much more.
The friendships begin to get more and more difficult to maintain. Certainly, it would now require more effort. You are now able to think carefully on how meaningful one person is to you.If they are worth the effort. You begin to sift out those who speak life too you and weed out the useless negative ones and hopefully, you become stronger as you have let go of the weight of unhealthy relationships. Nothing lasts forever. That is simply, the truth.
Any thoughts on this topic? Leave them down in the coments section!
Skype, Facebook, Whatsapp, Emails, Twitch and Google Hangouts… Did I miss anyone? These are basically essentials when our relationship goes through a long distance period. Everything seems totally fine as long as these tools are at our fingertips. However, what about when they are suddenly no longer an option? What happens when the internet FAILS us? After a few nights of worry and unease, it is now time to stop the panic and listen up.
- Pray- Now I don’t know about you reading this, but I believe in prayer. My sister once said that God is the one connection that will never fail and I agree. He is always there for us in good times and bad. It is also the best way in my opinion to protect your loved one in a time when you are not physically close by. Pray for your partner daily for both things seen and unseen and place everything into the hands of the Creator. Seek him for comfort during this time which may be more difficult for some than others. Lay your worries onto him.You never know what challenges lie ahead for either of you so develop your trust in God and use this time apart ( from loved one) to really work on the relationship with him.
- Stay Positive- Life happens and life happens to everyone. However we can’t always be jumping to scary conclusions without having any proof. Jumping to conclusions usually results in sleepless nights or useless arguments when we can all be enjoying limited time. Internet failing does not always have to mean that they found someone else or tripped and fell somewhere in a mysterious ditch. Not saying these things aren’t possible, but if it is something that you are extremely worried about then there is one last thing that we may be forgetting.
- Call- How can this be number 3? I sometimes forget that calling someone does not require the internet (requires phone credit though) I have become so accustomed to instant messaging or video chatting that I have long forgotten that there are home phones, cellular phones and even phone booths still in existence, and who knows how long this option will be here. Sometimes the best way to eliminate a lot of fears and insecurities is to simply call. Hear their voice, hear the tone, and hear the beautiful musical ring of their laughter. It was there before video and instant messaging and prayer was there even before all of them combined.
To those of us who know when our long distance will end and even to those of us who are unsure if it will ever end. Be strong and never stop looking for ways to get in touch with your one. There are certainly many options that I may not know of or may have left out so lets start up a discussion and drop by the comments section to share your thoughts.
Thank you so much for reading!!
Whether you are about to embark on a short break or fast from the internet, or your internet provider has been treating you like crap this week (like mine), I believe we can both agree on how frustrating it can be to find something to do! Let’s face it, the internet is now part of our daily routine, habits and even personality (YouTube video while having lunch anyone?). It thinks for us and tells us what to do most of the time. I am no expert but I think I can safely guess that it is most likely the most distracting thing ever created next to the fact that it does provide a great source of information. So what did we used to do before? How did our parents survive life without it? I can’t tell you that but after struggling with internet failure for close to a week, I’ve developed a few things that I have been doing and also thinking about during this time without an active internet connection.
- Read the Bible- Now ideally, I should be doing this every day, but often times I have found myself consumed by the many distractions found online. YouTube, instant messaging and just random searching. If you are someone who is hoping to include this into your daily life, consider turning the internet off for maybe just a day, or switching your devices to airplane mode. Feeding the spirit is just as important as feeding our body.
- Create Something-Am I the only one who automatically reaches for their phone to Google search ideas? It’s as if something that was once natural is no longer something that comes automatically. It was God who created ideas, not Google. Our minds are filled with ideas. So don’t fret if you can’t think of a recipe at the top of your head. Look at the ingredients in front of you and create something! Don’t quit painting practice or guitar practice because you don’t have a YouTube tutorial, but rather just see what comes out of your mind from what you know already. Have fun learning and creating like old times.
- Congregate & Connect- If you are without internet right now, you might be the only one so it may be hard to meet up with friends who are nose deep in their cell phones. However, we have immediate families that we see every day who we don’t message on face book or Whatsapp. Take some time out to go have a chat and I meant face to face. If you are struggling to keep entertained, create a game night where you play board games and puzzles. Dust off the old scrabble, monopoly or my current favorite Dominoes. Experience these moments that the internet has stolen from us. These moments where our family rooms was filled with family and the walls sung our laughter.Where the lines on our parent’s faces were not such a surprise because we noticed them daily. If you are able to, think about keeping these kinds of nights into your busy calendar .We may not be the same as the olden days but we can try to learn from them.
- Journal/Scrapbook- This is one thing that has reappeared thanks to the famous bullet journal. However, I know for sure that I cannot afford to get an actual fancy journal on Amazon or wherever. Whatever notebook you find whether it has lines or if it is blank. Anything with paper that you can apply your thoughts too will work. Scroll through some old magazines that you’ve probably never even gone through and make cut outs of shapes, letters or inspiration. Write down your thoughts or feelings .Plan your day or even your future. Analyze you in this moment and embrace the buzz of your own thoughts and not the incessant DING! Of an incoming social media chat.
- Rest- Goodness, Please tell me if I am not alone. Whenever there is no internet a wave of sleepiness overcomes me. As if I have just ran some marathon. This leads me to wonder if it is just boredom, or my body telling me that it is simply tired. We are so drowned within our bright screens all day till past midnight that we ignore the cries of sleep when our bodies signal it. This of course is what I think and you can maybe let me know if it is true and scientifically correct. So I believe that we should take this moment to catch up on the zzz’s that we have missed for the past few days. Enjoy the unburdened rest having no thoughts for the unanswered text messages or the unread and unsent emails.
- Re-read a much loved book- I am still not able to buy multitudes of books like I have dreamed of. However, I remember when I was younger, the only books I would have for a good year or two were just the ones on my shelf, hand me downs or books inherited from older siblings. I ended up finding a few favorites and of course read them over and over again. There are still few that I will reread even to this day for example anything by Jane Austen. Go hunting on your book shelve and grab something that you know will be guaranteed to set you into a great,chill mood while you try to ignore all the work that you could be doing online. Try to remember the feeling you had when you first read the book. Where was it? Who gave this book to you or where did you buy it? Books have a weird way of carrying with them a lifelong history lecture. It’s a feeling the internet can simply never imitate.
As always thank you so much for reading! I would definitely love to read your comments and thoughts on things you do when there is no internet connection. Have a wonderful and meaningful week everyone!
P.S. I love comments. Allow me to get to know you who you are!
P.P.S. If you got this far,comment Some game night ideas that you and your family have tried before!
Hunted by Meagan Spooner
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Competed 1:56 am (couldn’t put it down). I wish this book never ended!!!! I am transformed! Where are the words to describe it! The writing ,the pace, it was perfection. I fell in love so many times that I may have sprained a heart muscle. I lived within every snowfall and breathed the forest. Oh the beast! I can’t imagine moving on from the feels I grew ,I don’t want to! I enjoyed this book so much ! oh my goodness
This Fairy tale retelling of Beauty and the Beast is hands down my absolute favorite so far! I never thought a day would come where I would have been able to state this. It was original enough and did not move too far from the traditional.It was as if I was reading one of those secret histories, never-been-told about beauty and beast. I was so sad when I got to the end of this tale, so beautifully woven and so relate able. The feeling of constant wanting and never finding contentment is definitely something that I too have struggled with and it was easy to understand that feeling of having nearly everything but still missing something. Highly recommended!
View all my reviews
I tasted and cooked my first Flan!
I prefer to call it Crème Caramel and pretend that I am not me, but a renowned French chef who for this moment made a very over cooked Flan.
It always looks so extravagant and rich and smooth. I wondered if it was only the desert of higher class. The ingredients made it seem oh so easy but no, the anticipation is the true killer. Waiting and wonder If the hour plus more that you spend waiting for it to cook and set will be worth it in the end.
I enjoyed the taste of the center portion which seemed to be the proper identity of what crème caramel should be. The rest was eggy and mushy. So if you did not know before, my photos have now taught you what over cooked flan/ crème caramel looks like. Well at least I think it was over cooked, I also did not have the right set up for a water bath.
Note well, Flan tastes like a jello textured cheese cake, at least to me anyway.
HEY, It may not be the world’s pettiest Flan , but it’s mine and now I feel like Mademoiselle Quelque chose!
Anyway this was random, just trying to get back into the groove of writing down anything and everything.Hope you all enjoyed and have fun experimenting with life.